Sunday, February 13, 2011

Photomontage Project One in Photoshop

After the completion of the weaving portion of making my collage I decided to scan it in and see what I could do with it in photoshop. What I came up with was simple but I didn't feel like it was in a position for much adjustment or editing. I figured too much manipulation could just take away from what already existed but thinking back I could have done a bit more experimenting.

I have a higher appreciation for the physical product due to the texture and dynamics that are lost in the process of scanning. The scanned images are very flat and less interesting.

Photomontage Project One

The goal of this project was simply to experiment with collage, within the restrictions of one photography. Gary, my photo instructor, gave the impression that he wanted us more so to utilize the tools on photoshop to fulfill the abstraction or manipulation of our photo. I on the other hand see his purpose in familiarizing us with the technology, but instead chose to go with an analogue form of manipulation. In making this decision, I was wanting to experiment with weaving images together giving me the result of the following images of process to completion.

Raw Image

Thursday, December 2, 2010

ROR Final Product

This is it the final arraignment it's typographically dominate, fun, childish, and engaging. Did I miss anything?  Changing the type on the wall to red and enlarging the image has helped bring forward the text establishing a hierarchy, allowing for a good balance of space. I think it has turned out really well considering where I started. I have made great progression in my design and as the final project I feel I have learned a lot. 

ROR Poster Refinements

In these edited versions of my poster it is represented that I have adjusted the photograph allowing for the type, "We Want to…" to fit with in the space of the left wall. To make them a bit more typographically dominate I have cut and pasted the letter forms of the word read allowing it to stand out from the rest of the image. The cut out letter forms are working best on the bottom image, due to the white backing behind the red letters. I will only have few adjustments for making the final poster.

Big Leap in the Right Direction

In this round of variations, I took a risk and decided that I would try a new method to my approach on the ROR posters and it seemed to be working out, so I went with it. It seems I made the right the decision to scratch the digital images and work with the images above, because I got a lot of good feed back in my critique with Patrick and Abby.  I will be working on refining my last image from above. I was glad to understand in my critique that my poster now takes on my child like qualities and is working to fulfill the requirements needed to communicate the correct message. 

ROR PosterIterations

The above iterations for my ROR posters weren’t successful in the process of moving forward, instead they seemed to be more of a step backwards. Though they didn’t give appropriate iteration for this step in the process they still allowed me to see things in my work that I may not have originally thought to look at, like representation for example. The childish sense, which, we are focusing on in our posters, would appeal to the positive influence of reading to your children. This is important to notice in my top two posters due to the possibility of showing the struggle or negative context of forcing your child to read or the un-enjoyable factor of it. This is not how we want to influence our audience. 

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Creating for the Kids!

Reading, its a very important subject in allowing for communication and success. The Reach Out and Read foundation is focussing on the importance of reading to your kids, as infants, to help them gain exposure to vocabulary and verbal language. Reading to your kids at early ages also helps prepare them for school, allowing them to meet the standards needed to excel in their learning. 

My posters sketches as of right now are very static and need to develop a bit on their playfulness. The poster that I will be moving forward with in the developing process is the second to last one in the list of four. In continuation I am looking for more movement and more interesting forms, within a more dynamic composition.